Learn about how we use lasers to address gum disease
What is Laser Dentistry?
Laser dentistry is a state-of-the-art procedure that harnesses the properties of lasers to combat gum disease. At Envisage Dental, we prescribe laser treatments to patients who have matured cases of gingivitis as a pain-free way to kickstart the healing process.
How is laser dentistry different?
Unlike traditional gum disease treatments, our laser dentistry procedure effectively removes all bacteria from around the tooth root and simultaneously seals the wounded area to start the healing process. We combine this with our regular cleaning procedure to complete the cleaning process.
Does laser dentistry hurt?
Not at all! We only use the laser in short bursts, and there is no mechanical scraping done to your tooth. All the work is done by the energy sent through the laser into your tooth root.
What are the benefits?
- Reduce or eliminate bacteria in the blood (bacteraemia)
- If your gums bleed when you brush your teeth or when you have your teeth cleaned by a dentist, the bacteria in your gum tissue will enter your blood stream and settle in weaker areas of your body such as a damaged heart valve or artificial knee, hip, etc. Our Laser Bacterial Reduction procedure reduces or eliminates bacteraemia, and will therefore lower the possibility of bacteria from gum tissue entering the blood stream
- Bacteria in our gum tissue is a link to a number of other diseases such as heart disease, rheumatoid arthritis, low birth weight babies, and diabetes. Anything that we can do to reduce or eliminate bacteraemia is good for you
- To kill gum disease bacteria and stop the infection before they cause physical destruction or loss of bony supporting tissues around your teeth.
- To prevent cross contamination of infections from one area of your mouth to other areas of your mouth.